This week I went to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks with my friend/cousin-in-law, Ro. Ro just graduated from medical school and has some time off before he starts his residency, so we decided to go on a spontaneous little road trip. We started out in Sequoia, stopping to marvel at the giant trees and then made our way over to Kings Canyon. I had been to Sequoia before, and the trees are definitely spectacular, but I had no idea how breathtaking Kings Canyon was. It reminded me of Yosemite, but without the crowds.
I wanted to keep breakfast simple for this trip, since we only had a couple of days to explore both parks. I made granola at home the day before we left specifically for the trip, but my family found it. Everyone started munching on it that night and commenting on how good it was. By morning when I went to pack it, it was gone! Ro and I had to bring instant oatmeal with us camping instead.
Though you can certainly buy some pretty good granola at any grocery store, it’s so worth making it yourself. It takes less than ten minutes to combine all the ingredients, and then you can relax (or pack for your camping trip) while it bakes. Your whole house will smell amazing.
I’ve been making variations of granola for years. This version is made with almonds, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds. It’s sweetened with a combination of dark brown sugar and honey. My favorite way to eat it is with yogurt and fruit, but its great with milk, or you can eat it like trail mix.
Almond Flax Granola
YieldAbout 5 cups
Prep Time / Cook Time/
Activity GuideBackpacking, Bike Touring, Car Camping, Day Trip
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup flaxseeds
- Large bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Small pot
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Parchment or silicone baking mat
- Preheat the oven to 325° F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, honey, oil, and salt. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is hot and just starts to bubble. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, almonds, sunflower, and flax seeds. Stir in the sugar mixture to coat.
- Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until the granola is golden (about 45 minutes). Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let cool completely.