In case you haven’t heard, we are still doing a giveaway for a very cool and comprehensive cookbook, Campfire Cookery. You have until Friday to post a comment related to your favorite thing to cook on a campfire, and “Like” us on Facebook if you haven’t already. Tell your friends and we’ll let you know Friday who the winner of the book is!
Things are gettin busy for us Dirty Girls all of a sudden, and we’re super excited about it! Remember when we used to talk about granola a lot? We made some for the KAA Expo last year, among several other things, and we now have people who are basically certified stalkers looking to claim their granola whenever we even think about the word. Apparently its good- not just to us crazy granola moms (like crazy pageant moms). So, we finally are ready to start producing it! We’re going to start with a one time granola baking event. If we get enough response, we’ll consider going into the granola-making business a little deeper. So, that means, IT’S UP TO YOU. If you want granola in the future, keep your eyes peeled for your chance to order, and order when you get a chance.
Speaking of granola, here’s a lovely spinach salad recipe. It doesn’t include granola, but people who like granola should surely love the flavor combination here- plum vinegar and walnuts add pizazz to a very simple and fast recipe that you should enjoy while you still can. If you’ve started your fall garden, spinach and walnuts should be available as the season shifts. Enjoy!
Chopped Spinach Salad with Ume Vinaigrette
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time5 minutes
Activity GuideBike Touring, Car Camping, Picnic
- 6 ounces spinach, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ume vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- Small Skillet
- Cutting board
- Large Bowl
- Salad tongs or two forks
- Jar with a tight fitting lid OR a small bowl and whisk
For the salad:
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat on a camp stove, or on a grate over a campfire. Add walnuts and cook until toasted and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Once they’re cool, add the walnuts.
For the Ume Vinaigrette:
- Combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight lid and shake. Alternately, you can combine the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Drizzle a bit of dressing over the salad and toss well. Start with a little dressing and taste before you add it all. You probably won’t need it all.