I’ve always prided myself in not being a picky eater. I love food and, although I haven’t sampled any insects (knowingly), I can say that I’ll give most things a chance. That was my perception, until I realized I had a severe problem with combining savory and sweet things together. My “I-eat-anything” image was painfully put in question when I started hanging out with Aimee.
I was over for dinner and she had made a spinach salad with goat cheese and strawberries. Strawberries?? I paused. This was wrong. The strawberries obviously didn’t belong in that salad. I didn’t want to offend, so I served myself a bowl and prepared for the worst. I almost convinced myself I didn’t like it, but the big wall separating savory and sweet had cracked. I went for a second serving.
Aimee has continued to slowly chip away at that wall. She’s had to convince me a few more times, but I’m now officially on board. Fresh fruits in salad, pineapple on pizza, raisins in couscous, bring it on! It’s all about creating interesting and contrasting flavors.
This Chunky Mango Guacamole is a great recipe for combining savory and sweet flavors. Guacamole is already pretty awesome, but the addition of the mango brings it to a whole new level. Think of it as your typical guacamole goodness with a tropical bonus. After making this Chunky Mango Guacamole many times, I have to admit that I actually miss the mango flavor when I have regular guacamole. I recommend using mangoes and avocados that have just ripened. Using overripe fruits will take the chunky out of your Chunky Mango Guacamole. This is a great easy camping recipe for summer, best enjoyed with your peeps and a nice cold one.
Chunky Mango Guacamole
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time0 minutes
Activity GuideBike Touring, Car Camping, Picnic
- 2-3 avocados, diced
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1/2 onion (any color), chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes or 1 lemon
- red chili flakes (optional)
- Large bowl
- Cutting Board
- Put diced avocado and mango in large bowl.
- If you’re not sure how to cut a mango, check out these step by step instructions.
- Add onions, garlic, jalapeno and cilantro to diced avocados and mango. Add a healthy pinch of salt and squeeze lime or lemon juice over ingredients.
- Gently stir all ingredients and taste. Adjust seasoning as needed and add red chili flakes if you want more kick.
- Serve with tortilla chips.