I mentioned in my vegetable dehydrating post that my dad wanted some good backpacking meal ideas for a weekend trip he was planning. I knew he wouldn’t do much more than heat something up, which was understandable, but limiting in terms of what he could make. I stumbled upon this coconut cream powder that I had bought for another trip and knew right away that a soup recipe would work really well.
I came up with this Coconut Curry Soup and it was good enough that I actually made it for lunch at home several times since – not something I can say about most backpacking recipes. The coconut cream powder is a little hard to find, but it’s definitely worth seeking out. You can find it in some Asian grocery stores and, of course, online.
Coconut Curry Soup
Prep Time5 minutes
Cook Time2 minutes
- 30 grams coconut cream powder (1/2 a packet)
- 1-2 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- pinch of cayenne
- a handful of rice noodles
- a handful of dehydrated veggies
- 2 cups water
- At home, combine coconut cream powder, bouillon, curry powder and cayenne in a small zip top bag. In another bag, portion out your noodles and dehydrated veggies.
- At camp, boil the noodles and dehydrated veggies in the water. Once the veggies are re-hydrated and the noodles are tender, stir in the coconut cream mixture.