As much as I hate to admit it, the summer is quickly coming to an end. I hope you are having a fun one filled with good food and adventure. My summer included leisurely camping weekends, rock climbing in the Sierras (with an amazing view of Mount Whitney), a visit to Descanso Gardens and a new found love for anything cooked on the grill.
As summer winds down, I’m finding myself wanting to capitalize on the abundance of fresh garden goodness available right now. Last weekend, I came home from the farmer’s market with heirloom tomatoes, a canary melon, fresh parsley & oregano, a giant head of green lettuce and chili peppers that left a subtle just-perfect spiciness on my tongue.
This Summer Vegetable & Zucchini Slaw recipe is one that I made throughout the summer as I experimented with a different combination of vegetables. The main goal was to create a crispy and refreshing salad that wasn’t made with your typical base of leafy greens. This easy summer salad recipe features fresh corn, but it is also great with julienned red & yellow bell peppers. I haven’t tried it yet, but I bet this would also be great in a sandwich or hot dog.
There’s still a bit of summer left, so make sure to savor it until the last moment. As for me, I’m going backpacking in the Palisades next week. I’ll update you all about it soon enough, but until then, I’d love to hear about your favorite summer recipes and moments. Ciao!
Summer Vegetable & Zucchini Slaw
Prep Time / Cook Time/
Activity GuideBike Touring, Car Camping, Picnic
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, chopped off the cob
- 2-3 stalks green onions, chopped
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Add oil, honey and half the lemon zest to bowl. Squeeze the juice of a lemon half over the ingredients and blend well using a fork. Taste and adjust with more lemon, oil or honey as needed.
- Add all vegetables in bowl and mix well to distribute dressing evenly.
- Add salt & pepper to taste. Garnish with remaining lemon zest.