Arborio Rice and White Bean Vegetable Soup
Prep Time / Cook Time
Bike Touring, Car Camping
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped crosswise
- 1 carrot, chopped crosswise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1 can white beans (Canellini or Great Northern)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 to 2 bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil over medium high heat and add onions, garlic and carrots. Let vegetables soften, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
- Add rice and chili flakes to vegetables. Stir ingredients and add water, bouillon and tomato paste. Start with one bouillon cube.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until rice is almost done. Add zucchini and can of beans (including the bean water) to soup. Stir, mixing all ingredients evenly.
- Adjust seasoning at this point with additional bouillon and/or salt and pepper.
- Let soup simmer until zucchini and rice are cooked. Serve with bread and butter.