I’ve been thinking about how to make a great breakfast quesadilla for a while now. I have two problems with breakfast quesadillas. One, I hate it when the eggs fall out, and mine always do. Two, I don’t want to have to scramble eggs, remove them from the pan and then assemble and cook a quesadilla. It just seems like too much work for what it is, especially when I’m camping. I figured out how to solve these dilemmas, and I’m so excited about this new method that I’ve made breakfast quesadillas for breakfast and lunch for DAYS now. So many that today I’m forcing myself to drink green smoothies all day instead.
The trick is to cook the eggs like you would cook an omelet (without stirring them), then before the eggs are set, stick a tortilla on top. Flip the whole shebang over (carefully) so that the egg is now on top. Sprinkle some cheese on top and top it with another tortilla. You might mess the first one up, but once you get gutsy with the flip, it’s easy. You’ll want to use tortillas that are about the size of your skillet, or at least not bigger than your skillet.
I don’t like my breakfast quesadillas to be loaded with eggs and cheese so I usually only use one or two eggs and a sprinkle of cheese, but you could probably use up to three without having a problem with the flip. Just make sure your eggs are set enough to flip.
Recipe adapted from Heidi Swanson’s Quesadilla recipe.
Prep Time / Cook Time/
Activity GuideCar Camping
- 2 flour tortillas (use tortillas that are about the same size as your skillet)
- 1-2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cheese (use your favorite quesadilla cheese)
- 1 teaspoon butter or oil
- pico de gallo or salsa, avocado, and sour cream
- Nonstick skillet
- Small bowl
- Lightly scramble the egg in a small bowl with a fork or small whisk.
- Melt the butter, or heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Pour the scrambled egg in the hot skillet and tilt the skillet so that the egg covers the pan (as you would cook an omelet). Don’t stir the eggs. When the eggs are almost set, put one tortilla on top. Using a spatula, carefully and quickly flip the egg covered tortilla over so that the tortilla is now on the bottom. Sprinkle with cheese and place the other tortilla on top. Cook until the tortilla is nicely browned on both sides and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with pico de gallo or salsa, avocado, and sour cream.