I have to start this post with a disclaimer to say that this is not really a Campfire Flatbread Pizza recipe but rather a guide for making this delicious treat. The reason for that is – it is ridiculously easy to make and there are countless iterations possible.
The most work involved is thinking about what combination of ingredients you want to put on your Campfire Flatbread Pizza and prepping them. The rest is just assembly and having the patience to wait for it to be ready!
Here’s a breakdown of the basic ingredients.
We like to use naan bread but other options include pita, Lavash, and foccacia bread. If you feel like experimenting, try premade pizza dough – just be sure to cook the dough first, and then add your toppings.
The basic version would be with a marinara sauce but if you want to get fancy, go for pesto or even a cream based sauce. For a sauceless alternative drizzle the bread with a nice olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
You can’t really go wrong here – mozzarella alone is great, or add a stronger cheese like parmesan, sharp cheddar, goat cheese or blue cheese.
- Fresh Toppings:
Here’s where you open Pandora’s box. No brainer options include sliced tomato, sweet onion, mushroom and bell pepper. Kale, artichoke hearts or even pineapple (not necessarily together) will take your Campfire Flatbread Pizza to another level.
- Meat Toppings:
Whether you choose good ol’ pepperoni, prosciutto, sliced chicken or crumbled sausage, look for options that are precooked and that will add a nice salty contrast to your fresh vegetable toppings.
Fresh herbs, roasted garlic, olives, chili flakes are some of our favorite options.
Bring everything to camp pre-sliced or make a group activity of it. The trick is to start by prepping your campfire so that by the time you are ready to cook your Campfire Flatbread Pizzas, you’ve got a good bed of coals and low to medium sized flames under the grill.
Campfire Flatbread Pizza
Prep Time / Cook Time/
Activity GuideBackpacking, Car Camping
- 1 flat bread
- 3-4 tablespoons sauce
- 1/3 cup cheese, grated
- About 1/3 cup of your favorites veggies, chopped
- 3-4 slices of meat, optional
- Fresh herbs and/or olives, optional
- Cutting board
- Pull out a sheet of foil that is at least twice as long as the length of your flatbread and place your flatbread in the middle.
- Layer your ingredients on top of the flatbread starting with sauce, then cheese and toppings.
- Wrap the Campfire Flatbread Pizzas in a sealed foil packet leaving room on top of the pizza so that the foil doesn’t rest on the toppings. Place on grill until the cheese is nice and melted. Open the packet periodically to make sure bottom of flatbread is not burning.