YieldAbout 12-16 hush puppies
Prep Time / Cook Time/
Activity GuideCar Camping
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour (such as Bob's Red Mill brand)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (decrease the sugar by a teaspoon if you're using sweetened)
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium bowl
- Medium pot
- Mixing spoon
- Metal tongs or a spider
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, baking powder, and sugar in a ziplock bag or a container with a lid.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground flax seeds with the water. Mix well and set aside for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2-3 inches of oil in a medium pot.
- Add the soy milk, cider vinegar and olive oil to the bowl. Allow to rest for a couple more minutes.
- Add the cornmeal mixture and mix well.
- Drop batter by the tablespoon into the hot oil.
- Fry in batches until the puppies are golden brown, turning to ensure that they’re browned evenly.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.