About an hour outside of LA, McGill campground is a great overnight getaway. I’ve already been there twice this month and it didn’t disappoint. Both weekends I went there were plenty of open spots and I wondered why it wasn’t more crowded, especially considering it was over 100 degrees in the city. There are hiking and mountain biking trails, and the stargazing is incredible. Lots of people like to leave a car at the bottom of the mountain, drive to the top in another vehicle, and ride bikes down. I think that’s cheating but I bet it’s fun anyway.
LocationFrazier Park, CA
Activity GuideCar Camping, Biking, Hiking, Running, Stargazing
- Large campground about an hour outside of LA with lots of shady sites near Mt.Pinos
- There is no potable water on site
- $20/night as of June 2012 (includes one vehicle), $6/night for each extra vehicle
- There are often large crowds on the weekends
- Picnic Tables
- Nice Pit Toilets
- Established Tent and RV Sites (*no hookups)
- This is a fantastic place to escape the heat of LA in the summer, as it’s nearby and easy to get to.
- The stargazing is really great if you continue up Cuddy Valley Road to the top of the mountain.
- Plenty of hiking and biking trails.