Pie Iron Fried Egg Sandwiches
Prep Time / Cook Time/
Activity GuideCar Camping
- 1 egg
- nonstick cooking spray or 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- dough of 1 biscuit (we use canned, and we always cook all 8 eventually)
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 1 sausage patty, or two strips of bacon (optional)
- Pie iron
- Dutch oven or foil (as warmer)
Note: This recipe is written for one serving, because that’s how much you can make at a time, so feel free to scale based on the amount of people (or canned biscuits, or dozens of eggs) that you have.
- Each piece of the sandwich will have to be made individually if your only tool is one pie iron. I start with the biscuit.
- Preheat the pie iron for about 2 minutes. Spray with cooking spray and add the biscuit. Cook over the fire, about 2 minutes. Then flip and cook about 2 minutes more.
- Check for doneness, and remove when fully cooked through and brown on top. Set biscuit aside (in a foil pouch or warm dutch oven).
- If you’ll be cooking sausage or bacon, this should be your next step. Again, cook until browned on the outside and cooked through. You can also do this ahead of time on the stove.
- Slice biscuit, top one side with sausage and cheese. Set aside.
- Place pie iron back into fire to preheat until it is nice and hot. Open the pie iron, setting one side onto a flat surface such as a rock or grate. Spray again if necessary, and crack egg directly into one side.
- Let egg cook in open pie iron on the flat surface until egg whites start to become white. Close pie iron, flip and heat directly in the fire.
- Remove when cooked to preferred doneness, and place egg onto the biscuit.